As students start heading back to USC from wherever their summers took them, we want to remind you of all the fun things that are going on in Columbia for you to do! Check out our list of fun things happening in Columbia this month.
1. Check out the Summer Sidewalk Sale this weekend (August 7-9) in the Devine Street & Five Points neighborhoods. There’ll be sales at all of your favorite stores for tax free weekend–as well as deals at some of your favorite local restaurants! Complimentary trolley rides will even take you around.
2. Take the Main Street Food Tour (2pm on August 8th, $42/person). You’ll learn about our city while trying local cuisine at 5-7 of our best local restaurants.
3. Love art? Check out the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Columbia Museum of Art, “From Marilyn to Mao: Andy Warhol’s Famous Faces.” The exhibit runs through September 13th. Go any day except Mondays. (Admission is free for members, $5 for students!)
4. Take a guided tour of the Woodrow Wilson Family Home for $1 any Sunday in August (for Richland and Lexington Country residents with valid ID). Tours start at the top of every hour between 1:00 and 4:00pm from the Gift Shop at Robert Milles, located at 1616 Blanding St.
5. Looking for creative ways to cool down? Have some fun at the Happy Hour History Water Balloon Battle! It takes places on Friday, August 21st from 5:30-7:00pm. Attendants will break into teams to learn about military tactics throughout history, and then will relax with drinks and hors d’oeuvres ($15 members, $20 general admission.)
6. Celebrate clean water and have tons of fun at the Summer Celebration of Water (free). It takes places on Saturday, August 22nd from 10:00am-2:00pm at Riverfront Park. This is a kid-friendly event with hands on educational activities, paddle sports, water slides, and much more!
7. Participate in the 7th Annual Bar Stool Classic, a 10-hole putt-putt tournament through the bars of Five Points (Friday, August 28, starting at 5:30pm). Proceeds benefit the Babcock Center Foundation. For more information, go here.
8. Head down to Main Street and see at movie at our local gem, The Nickelodeon.
9. Are you a classical music fan? Check out the Argento Chamber Ensemble, playing for free on Friday, August 28th at 7:30pm, at the USC School of Music Recital Hall in Room 206.
10. Celebrate Cromer’s P-Nuts 80th Birthday with bouncey houses, music, treats, and much more on Saturday, August 29th from 10:00am-2:00pm at Cromer’s P-Nuts on Huger Street.